TWAS November 23

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone's had a good week.  It sounds like Christmas is in the air for a lot of families and the children are getting so excited.  There have been a lot of requests for Christmas books in our classroom library, and talk about decorations starting to go up at home.  It is such an exciting time of year for so many of them! Even with all of this excitement though, they worked so hard this week.  I am very proud of them; they are so excited by their learning and are up for any challenge that comes their way.  This week's art is still a work in progress so pictures will come next week.  It is the first piece that will be going on our mobiles.  Thanks so much to everyone who was able to send in a hanger and extras as well.  I think we have enough for everyone so will begin "all about me" construction next week!

* This upcoming week is our Hip Hop Dance residency.  Our class will be showcasing their learning Friday at 9:40 am.  Families are welcome to come to the Friday performance. 

I'll leave you with a sketch of the week and wish you all a cozy and fun weekend!

LA:

  • Descriptive writing
    • using language to describe simple pictures that a learning partner tries to draw
  • Creating "Dell" creatures from a descriptive letter.  Dell's letters are below.  (I'll let your children tell you about Dell, who she is and how she came to be)
  • Creating Dell's personality in writing. 
  • Daily 5 (reading work, writing, research and listening to stories)
  • Novel study 
  • Stories about family
    • moving forward:  celebrating our families in our All About Me studies
Math
  • Canadian coins/ values
  • Ordering and comparing numbers
  • math stations
    • checkers, problems, art and assessments with Ms. M.
  • Skills with Ms. Patton
    • doubles + 1 and doubles + 2
    • drama skits
    • representing with manipulatives
This is a math problem that we worked on this week; it proved to be quite challenging for the children so we will be doing more of this type over the next couple of weeks:


Science
  • whole-class inquiry
    • magnetic fields
    • properties
    • magnetic variance
  • note taking
  • documentation
Health
  • Starting to look at groupings of food
Art
  • multi-medium name art that uses a new drawing technique
We also had Club Friday (on Thursday) which made an extra full Thursday!


Letters from 'Dell'


Hello Artist,


My name is Dell.  Can you draw a picture of me ?  I am a beautiful creature.  I have a round body and a triangle head.  I have 3 beautiful green eyes with long black eye lashes.  I have 5 red polka dots inside my round body.  I have two long skinny legs with one foot on each leg.  Some people say my feet look like duck feet but I disagree!  One foot has 3 toes.  The other foot has four toes.  I have four squiqqly arms coming out of my round body with three skinny fingers on the end of each arm.  My final and best feature is my long black curly hair.  It stands straight up from the top of my head in a Y shape!  Oh and I have a big blue smile (did I mention that I’m blue?).  Have fun . . . I can’t wait to see how you draw me J

Love,
Dell


Dear Artist,


Thank you so much for bringing me to life!  I am so excited to be in this world J.

Can you do me one more favour?  Can you give me a personality?  What am I like?  What food do I love?   What is my favourite thing to do?  Do I have any friends or pets?   I can be anything at all that your imagination wants me to be!  I am sooooo excited to become a real living thing in your world J

Love,


Dell

See you on Monday 73 :)

Mrs. McArthur


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWAS May 3

TWAS Sept. 28

Happy Summer!!